Monday 18 December 2017

France et Saint Denis!

or... sous a l'anglaise...





Mainly a 'little' Lion Rampant French retinue for the 1415-1429 period (yes I am picky I have also a Crecy retinue slowly progressing too), in 28mm from the talented sculpting hands of the Perry Twins and my (hopefully talented) painting hands. Actually it is not that little or small, in Lion's terms is a whopping 30 points. I have also another half unit of crossbowmen (waiting the other half), and I will surely add some more knights, I can do another 6 dismounted, but I am looking at some mounted color for my force.

The figures themselves are a mix of Perry plastic with some older WF metal (pavisiers, still sculpted by the twins. There is some cheating because in three bases I have put 5 instead of 6 men (thus one unit will be 11 instead of 12, and another 10 instead of 12...).


First unit of dismounted knights in detail.


And the second unit...

Before you scream I played with based units and, with appropriate casualty marker it was not a proble, actually it saved me time in moving units, plus, considering Lion is not ultra-exact on figure ration (yes it say 1 to 1, but the rules are more abstract than required for a 1 to 1 ration) it makes perfect sense that casualties represent not just outright kills but also exhaustion and loss of cohesion. So no need for figure removal.


The crossbowmen.


The voulgiers, infantrymen with two handed weapons (offensive sergeants for Lion Rampant) flanked by the two blocks of pavisiers.


Talking of Pavisiers (sergeants for Lion) here is the second unit (I painted then after the other unit so they are the 'seconds'), WF figures with hand-painted shields representing the city of Meaux (left) and Angiers (right).  I just realized I don't have a close up of the first unit of pavesiers from Caen, but...

... you can see them here, on the back of the crossbowmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment